Monday, August 23, 2010

I am in love with a bi-polar man. Any advice?

We have been together for over a year, but he has broken up with me a couple of times because his medicine made him very depresssed. He is kind, and loving and honest, and good to me, except when he is depressed. Then he says he can't stay with me, and moves out. He loves me, and enjoys my company, otherwise.I am in love with a bi-polar man. Any advice?
It sounds like he should try a different medication. I'm bipolar and so is my mom, and it takes time, therapy, and the right combination of meds to really get balanced out. It sounds like your boyfriend is a decent guy, so it's important for you to be there for him and encourage him to get the right help. It's a very, very tough road for the patient and their loved ones, good luck and God Bless!! :)I am in love with a bi-polar man. Any advice?
Don't worry girl - Your not alone. My man is the almost the same way. Very fun, very attentive, but can get very depressed or stressed about something so trivial. We've had more fights about the stupidest things. You just have to ask yourself... Is he worth hanging on to. Are the highs worth going thru the lows. See if he can talk to his Doc about adjusting the meds. That helps. My man isn't even on meds right now. Imagine that...
Just keep him as a friend, don't get married. I have a bi-polar gf, some days she is fine, other days, totally off the wall, she scares me. She writes in run on sentences when she does write to me, that is when she is off of her medication. Bi-polar people can turn violent I heard. I would literally just keep him as a friend. Do you really want to start off that new chapter in your life with problems? I realize you love the guy, but stop and think, this is pretty serious stuff to get involved with. They are not stable when they are bi-polar. My gf can't even work or drive a car, it doesn't get better, the disease gets progressively worse as people age. I hope you make the right decision.
Sounds like my mom and stepdad's relationship. They were married for eight years, then he was diagnosed, and they divorced shortly thereafter. They've since gotten remarried. He's on medication, as well, and I just try to stay out of his way. My mom has this book, its called Living With Bipolarity, and she says she liked it. There's also a book by Danielle Steele, about her son, who was bipolar. Try reading those. Hope things work out.
If you love him that much, stay with him. But sounds like you will have some unhappy moments in your life that are unnecessary. Are you ready to be dealing with this kind of relationship forever? Good luck.
I just broke with a bi-polar man. He was up and down for 4 years. He finally cheated on me on one of his highs. It was the hardest trip I have ever been on. Get out of it and go on with you life. It is not the way you want to live. I am so relieved that it is over.
ya make sure he is takin his meds is all i can say
Sorry but I personally couldnt/wouldnt deal with the ever-changing moods. If you love him and can hang in there I guess you should but it must get so frustrating for you. good luck
they need to change his meds then and be supportive
Sounds like he needs to try different medicine. Make sure he stays on it. My husband won't take his. He says he doesn't like not feeling anything. It's a constant struggle. Good Luck to you.
become a bi-polar woman, and you will offset one another
move on with your life
Sounds like it's time for a major time-out! Maybe you'd be better off without him, who knows you may find someone better. In the mean time, get a dog (like a pug) and it will help you get through hard times!





鈾?John!
Things are never as simple as 'move out and get over it'.





There are mental health support groups, and it's not just for those with the illness. I suggest calling them and asking if they have sessions or groups that you could(or both of you) could go to to work things out, and develop coping strategies(specifically for him). Medication can't do everything, as difficult as it is, it's a battle that the ill fight, and I believe, to live with it or overcome it, can't give up hope or fighting.





If anything, and you do 'move out and on' then they can probably help you to deal with this part of your life. Sometimes closure into chapters of our life need a lot of time, and help.





If you have no idea where to start, start here http://www.camh.net/ . They are a Canadian gov.'t group that deals with this stuff. Here is one page on their website of some info. http://www.camh.net/About_Addiction_Ment鈥?/a> . A page on a website doesn't really do the group justice. Call ask if they have contacts in your country/area, and work from there.





Good luck.
Just be careful. I have a cousin who is bi-polar, and you never how how to take her from one day to the next. She acts nice one minute, and the next time she sees me, she acts as if she's mad about something. So just be careful.
I have bi-polar and I don't envy any guy who has dated me. The only thing I can recommend is a book called ';The Survival Guide to living with someone who has bi-polar';. You sound like a very patient and caring person. I wish you the best of luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment