Saturday, July 31, 2010

My 17 year old daughter is dating a 20 year old man. Any advice on what to do? Or should I do anything?

Talk to the guy, at 20 he should be mature enough to have a conversation with you so that you can find out the sort of guy he is. After that, just support your daughter and hope he treats her right.My 17 year old daughter is dating a 20 year old man. Any advice on what to do? Or should I do anything?
I dated a 20 year old man when I was 17. We were married and had a baby when I was 18 and he was 21. We are still together after 17 years.My 17 year old daughter is dating a 20 year old man. Any advice on what to do? Or should I do anything?
The question is, is she dating a GOOD man or a BAD man? Three years age difference, even at that age, does not seem like a big deal to me. Don't get caught up on age, the things you should focus on as a parent are whether he is a good person with pure intentions, or whether he is not the type of person you would want your child associating with, regardless of his age. If he was 30, I could see your concern...but 3 years is no big deal...they could have been in high school at the same time. Obviously, I don't know your daughter, but I would recommend not approaching her regarding his age, but regarding his character.
If it were my daughter, it would not have began in the first place... This would not be an issue... She never would have tried this one, and he would be under the jail, the perv... However, it is your child, make the decision that is best for you. Why would you expect strangers to give you and answer to this question? If it is ok with you then ok, if not then do something about it. It is your responsibility as her mother to raise her in the way she is to go, give her the tools she needs to make wise decisions. Not to be her best friend. Good luck and God bless****
20 years old is not that old, after all just one year ago he was a teen himself. Most 20 year olds have not been around and learned the ways of the world yet. I depends on how mature he is for his age. If he is a good guy I wouldn't let that age difference bother me. Most guys can't afford a girlfriend at an earlier age because they can't afford it.

No comments:

Post a Comment